Monday, December 30, 2013

The right shade of grey !

I'm trying to find the right shade of grey to paint a wall in my bedroom. Usually I'm quite confident when choosing paint colours as I've used soooo.... many over the years but the shade of grey I'm looking for has me stumped.

Currently I have a number of samples taped to the wall but they are either too purple , too blue, too light or too dark ....  oh the choice is confusing.

I just want to paint the wall behind the bed which is currently a plum colour.
The other walls are a neutral  Dulux Hog Bristle , the floor is charcoal and the bed is black.

The American blogs show some beautiful colours but down here in Australia we seem a little limited.

If anyone can suggest a fabulous shade of grey/gray I'de be delighted to hear from you.

Some inspiration from Pinterest:
Tracie's Gorgeous Grey Bedroom Makeover <3
 Inside Scoop: Monochrome Calm in a Netherlands High Rise 
 love the gray door repurposing as a headboard and the use of the branch wrapped in lights above it.....
My Sweet Savannah: ~fishtail cottage~
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Kym, I've had exactly the same problem, so went to Bristol and they happened to have a Benjamin Moore colour wheel. (Eltham store)

    If you can get the name of the colour you're after, your local store may be able to help you, if they have a wheel.
    For instance. I was after a colour similar to Gray Owl and they came up with Bristol's South Pole.
    Another Bristol grey that is a bit darker is Rainbow Trout...but it really is all about what sort of grey you want and how dark you want to go.
    British Paints also have some nice pale greys... Lighten Up and White Albatross are nice
    and Taubmans have Grey Sky and Grey Granite.
    Don't know if that's been a help or just more confusing for you, but they're worth checking out.
    Good Luck...and let me know how you go
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...also, here's a link to some greys as well. Just scroll down the page a bit...they're towards the end

    http://www.thingsthatinspire.net/2013/12/top-20-pinned-images-of-2013.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley, I will check out what Bristol has to offer. Thanks for your sugestions...they look great. Will let you know how I go! x

      Delete
  3. Maybe 'Bleaches' by Dulux? Was going down that path myself but now with wallpaper have switched to Meniscus as a possible contender. It is a big decision! Good luck! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, would love to see what you are doing.Thanks for the advice am liking Bleaches alot. x

      Delete
  4. Kym, check out the Taubman's "colour stories" brochure
    It features Grey Castle. and it has photos of it next to white trim and furniture. Looks really good.
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will look forward to seeing how you go, I would like to use some greys in the dream house when we get to the painting stage. I tend to be drawn to the warmer greys like Dulux Mudpack or Taubmans Navigate & Silver bullet. The down side to being a blogger, we want everything that we cant get here in Aus .
    Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using Farrow & Ball "Elephant Breath". It's a gorgeous soft grey! Check out the other colors in the palette, they are all beautiful. I started with my downstairs powder room and have now moved into my living room. Hope this reply isn't too late! leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might be having trouble finding a good grey if it has to match with Hogs Bristle which is quite a beigey colour. Try a grey that has more brown - like Dulux Western Myall, Mallard Grey or Raku. xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments.. thanks for taking the time...I appreciate each and every one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails